Gönderen Konu: Making a static BR52 Trumpeter kit (in English)  (Okunma sayısı 33966 defa)

0 Üye ve 1 Ziyaretçi konuyu incelemekte.

Çevrimdışı Jean-Patrick

• Kulüp Üyesi
  • Forum Üyesi
  • İleti: 28
    • www.trainsofturkey.com
Making a static BR52 Trumpeter kit (in English)
« : Ağustos 21, 2007, 23:47:35 »
Hi all

Trumpeter, a brand very well known for its military kits, made a BR52 loco, in its original German army version of course. This is a very large kit at the scale of 1/35. This scale is unusual in the rail world but I discovered it was quite common to military kit builders. The loco is static, 99% plastic, and intended for diorama.

I could not resist buying a box with the intend to make a TCDD 56500.  Indeed, TCDD BR52 are nearly identical to the German Army ones except for a few changes. My opinion is that these changes were done afterwards by TCDD. The most visible are:
  • Relocation of the turbo-generator from the top of the firebox to the smokebox
  • Addition of a central lock on the smoke-box door
  • Addition of a cow-catcher
  • Removal of the brake compressor frost protection.
  • And, on some units, additions of smoke screens.

So for about 80 Euro, I got myself a quite impressive box, nearly the size of a small suitcase (35x60x15cm). It contains about 710 plastic parts, a dozen photo etched parts in brass and the promise of many hours of fun.

Detailing kits containing many more brass parts are sold separately for the demanding modeler. They looked very nice, but way above my skills, my time and my budget.

I am about halfway done building this BR52, having completed the tender, the cab and the boiler. The cab itself is quite detailed, although only the main gauges & valves are shown. It is quite pleasant except for a shocking mistake: the brake valve and related pipes were located on the left-hand side. This is very easy to fix. But, when I spotted this mistake, I had already assembled most of the cab so the change was a bit touchy.  I had to cut into already completed and painted parts. 

Otherwise, the quality of the kit is very good. In such a scale, details not normally seen in HO can be reproduced such as all the internal bars of the frame. Also, a static kit is free from any mechanical constraints and the wheels, brakes shoes & gears, … can be made to scale.

What to do with this 75cm long monster once complete? I already started negotiation with my wife for a display spot. I asked for the mantelpiece in our living room, she offered the darkest, top most shelf in a bedroom … Hopefully, completion is still several months away.

I toyed with the idea to make a diorama but I gave up, this being above my capabilities. In my dreams, I would have done a typical depot scene: smoke box door opened and a worker shoveling the cinders out to a pit.

I will post a progress report in a few months.
Jean-Patrick

PS: links to some nicely completed BR52
Example 1
Example 2
Example 3
and finaly a wonderfull Turkish built one, showing all the super-detailing
Example 4  The cab is nicely detailed, but wrong! The builder has obviouly never seen a real BR52

« Son Düzenleme: Ağustos 21, 2007, 23:52:59 Gönderen: Jean-Patrick »

Çevrimdışı Jean-Patrick

• Kulüp Üyesi
  • Forum Üyesi
    • www.trainsofturkey.com
Ynt: Making a static BR52 Trumpeter kit (in English)
« Yanıtla #1 : Ağustos 22, 2007, 00:12:21 »
A now some pictures, done today showing the actual progress

The box...

Tender, cab and boiler nearly complete.

Contrary to Trumpeter booklet, I started erection from the end in order to finish with the frame (easy part first is my motto)

The tender is the easiest part

The cab took me a full week-end to complete

« Son Düzenleme: Ağustos 22, 2007, 00:34:06 Gönderen: Jean-Patrick »

Çevrimdışı Derya Ferendeci

• Kulüp Üyesi
  • Forum Üyesi
  • Yer: Istanbul
  • Yaş: 57
  • İleti: 106
  • Hayatta her zaman her şey kutudan çıkmaz
    • TCDD 1975
« Yanıtla #2 : Ağustos 22, 2007, 04:02:58 »

Unbelievable. I bought the same model a few months ago. No time to build it yet. I will not install the unfamiliar wooden smoke deflectors, the steam engine driver at Cankiri called them "wings", and I think the box covering the pump is also not necessary.
Here is pictures of me in front of 56522 at Halkali:
http://www.ferendeci.com/Trains/History/Derya56522-1.JPG
http://www.ferendeci.com/Trains/History/Derya56522-2.JPG

Best regards,
Derya

ctekin

• Ziyaretçi
« Yanıtla #3 : Ağustos 22, 2007, 06:31:31 »
Hi Jean-Patrick,

Nice holiday?

Great (by all means) model, good luck building it. Mantelpice for display is a good idea, but I have yet to see a man to display something he likes on a mantelpiece - or in the living room for that matter :)

Good luck with the model and with your negotiations.

All the best,

Cem.

ctekin

• Ziyaretçi
« Yanıtla #4 : Ağustos 22, 2007, 08:25:57 »
By the way,

what an amazing price (the last link you supplied) for a plastic kit: $1.400.-! Do you know how much is the brass detailing set? I might build one and sell :)

Cem.

ctekin

• Ziyaretçi
« Yanıtla #5 : Ağustos 23, 2007, 15:55:27 »
İhsan bey selamlar,

Konu kısaca şöyle: Jean-Patrick bir Trumpeter br 52 almış. savaş lokosu kiti. ve savaş lokosu br52'lerin çok küçük modifiyeler ile tr'de kullanılan br52'lere kolayca çevrilebileceğini söylüyor. kit 1/35 ölçek yani bayağı büyük. 710 parça, bir kısmı metal. ayrıca metal detay kitleri de ayrıca satılıyormuş.

JP'nin koyduğu linkler içinde bir ebay linki var, yapılmış vaziyette bir trumpeter br 52 $1400 satılmış. ben de dedim ki alıp yapayım bir tane sonra belki satarım :)

mevzu bu.

saygılar,

cem.

Çevrimdışı ihsan

• Ihsan Günder
  • Kurul Üyesi
  • Forum Üyesi
  • Yer: istanbul
  • Yaş: 70
  • İleti: 987
« Yanıtla #6 : Ağustos 23, 2007, 17:08:03 »
Teşekkürler Cem bey

ctekin

• Ziyaretçi
« Yanıtla #7 : Ağustos 23, 2007, 17:39:18 »
İhsan bey selamlar,

Rica ederim, yardımcı olabileceğim başka birşey olursa yazın lütfen.

Saygılar,

Cem.

Çevrimdışı Jean-Patrick

• Kulüp Üyesi
  • Forum Üyesi
    • www.trainsofturkey.com
« Yanıtla #8 : Ağustos 23, 2007, 23:36:40 »
Hi Derya

I knew you would have purchase this kit: simply too tempting.  It is a great value for money and really fun to built. However, I already spend about 100 hours to get to that mid-point.

I will base my model on 56523, the one in Camlik. It has no smoke screen and somebox supporting bars. But I will leave the smokebox door in its original design unless I can find something suitable to do the central locking wheel.

Between the various books and Internet, I gathered individual pictures of 38 out a total of 53 locos. My conclusion is that not two are alike. Apart from big changes like tender types, there also small changes like exact location of brake pump or location of turbo generator. For example, "your 56522" lost the hoods covering the water pipes along the boiler and the injectors. 5623 still has these.

Hi Cem

The model sold on ebay is not that expensive if you consider the time spend by the guy. Assuming he is really fast, he spend at least 200 hours to complete the loco (i.e twice as fast as me since he put in a lot of brass details). This is more that a month of work full time. My guess is that he spend at least two months full time. There is also the cost of material, say 80 euro for the kit, at least 100 euro for the brass detail kits plus another 20 euro for paints and misc stuff. So the net income is somewhere between 600 to 1000 euro per month?

Now a final question for you guys who have seen the real one.

What was the color of the air tanks? Red? Did the red extend on all the surface of the tanks? And what about the rods? red and black only? No white? Or perhaps some white on the head only?

Selamlar
Jean-Patrick

ctekin

• Ziyaretçi
« Yanıtla #9 : Ağustos 24, 2007, 00:02:13 »
Hi Patrick,

I was only (well) half-joking: a simple station kit in my hands takes about a month before the final touch. So my guess for this piece is 4 months at least :) mind you that i color all bits and things before i start building ;D

anyways, the real one? which one? as you say; no two is alike. at that point i'd let myself free - talking about the Turkish ones? you should know better: we are not that good in keeping records (let alone photos) and our memories could only be compared to those of gold-fish (i.e. re-electing the dickhead) :D

Take care!

Cem.

ps: i'm after one of those, i'll get one some day!

ps2: turkish stuff in-between; just explaining what we've been talking about as apparently subject attracted many people.

Çevrimdışı Jean-Patrick

• Kulüp Üyesi
  • Forum Üyesi
    • www.trainsofturkey.com
« Yanıtla #10 : Ağustos 24, 2007, 00:27:00 »
oh yes, I forgot to thank you for translating my post. Hopefully you left out the joke regarding my wife...

The real question about the ebay deal is: who would spend that much money for a completed kit? Certainly not me!

If you want to buy the kit for really cheap, try ebay again: some guys are selling straight from China at less that 60 euro (Trumpeter is a Chineese brand)! I just wonder about the shipping...

Jean-Patrick

Çevrimdışı Jean-Patrick

• Kulüp Üyesi
  • Forum Üyesi
    • www.trainsofturkey.com
« Yanıtla #11 : Kasım 17, 2007, 22:54:10 »
Hi All

Its time to make a November Progress report. I did make some substantial progress since my last post in August.  As expected, the progress is quite slow, given that I work on this a few hours per week. This wonderfull project comes after other priorities like my boss, my wife, my kids, .... (not sure about the order).

Here below pictures to show the progress on the BR52. These were done during a blank assembly trial. The loco will be broken down into sub assemblies for painting.

Assembly of the cylinders, suspensions, wheels and the various elements inside the frame are time consuming but present no major difficulties. 

The first picture shows the two main alterations I made to the model in order to make it more like a 56500:
1) The kit original turbo alternator is enclosed in a protective shield mounted on top the firebox. I discarded all this and instead scratch built a turbogenerator. I mounted it next to the chimney, as it should be. Additional details such pipes and wire will come in after the 1st painting.
2) I had to build a snowplow too.  All 56500 had one. This highly visible part is unfortunately not provided in the kit. This part is built using flat Evergreen sheets and a large quantity of putty. The shape is more complex than it looks and it took me a while to get it right

The good news is about the air pump. In the kit, the Nielebock Knorr compressor is enclosed in a protective casing, a standard feature of "Russian front" BR52. TCDD, like almost everybody, removed this casing which was an operational nuisance. Hopefully, this option is available in the kit too.  Under the casing, one discovers a quite nicely detailed pump. I only added a missing connection part between the upper and the lower part of the pump.

I made the brass part above the cab windows. There are not too visible on the picture because they are already painted black.  I did this painting on the spot in order to avoid oxidation of these parts. Then I placed the windows and thus the cab is complete. Looking back, I regret not to have left at least one door opened.

So what is next? I have to start painting now before going any further. But I had to rethink my spray painting equipment and in particular my spray booth to accomodate such a large model.  More about this in a coming post.

Jean-Patrick

-----------------------------

The fireman side: the snowplow and the alternator in white plastic are clearly seen.

The driver side, showing the air pump.

Close-up view of the cab. Not too good pictures...

Rear view

« Son Düzenleme: Kasım 17, 2007, 23:00:12 Gönderen: Jean-Patrick »

Çevrimdışı Harun

• Administrator
  • Forum Üyesi
  • Yaş: 65
  • İleti: 2880
  • herşey MTK yüzünden...
« Yanıtla #12 : Kasım 18, 2007, 04:13:21 »
Hello Jean- Patrick,

It was nice seeing you during our show at Tepe Nautilus shopping mall in March.

I want to remind you that many of our members (just as you are) are willing to participate at this show with their collections and creations.

Our second show will start on 15th of December and will end on 15th of January. Why not come to Turkey to make your wife happy (main reason) and join this show with your BR52 Trumpeter? :)

All the best,

Harun
« Son Düzenleme: Kasım 18, 2007, 15:04:12 Gönderen: Harun Yamanlar »

Çevrimdışı Derya Ferendeci

• Kulüp Üyesi
  • Forum Üyesi
  • Yer: Istanbul
  • Yaş: 57
  • İleti: 106
  • Hayatta her zaman her şey kutudan çıkmaz
    • TCDD 1975
« Yanıtla #13 : Kasım 18, 2007, 16:22:02 »

Jean -Patrick,

Absolutely gorgeous!

Glad to hear that the compressor comes in the kit. I also was worried about this.

Best regards,
Derya

Çevrimdışı Jean-Patrick

• Kulüp Üyesi
  • Forum Üyesi
    • www.trainsofturkey.com
« Yanıtla #14 : Şubat 07, 2008, 20:21:42 »
Selamlar

Digging out this thread once more to give fresh news: I made very slow progress on the painting due to lack of time. I even ruined the paint of the tender last week-end by making a spray error. I have now to go backward by removing the paint on one side and do again... I should not dilute paint with raki :(

On the positive side, I updated TrainsofTurkey to reflect all the knowledge I gained in this project. Anybody attempting a TCDD br52 (in any scale) will find this usefull. I particular, I compiled the loks with smokescreen. The list unfortunatly is not complete.
56500 in TOT

Saygilar
Jean-Patrick

« Son Düzenleme: Mart 01, 2008, 19:50:09 Gönderen: Jean-Patrick »

Çevrimdışı Jean-Patrick

• Kulüp Üyesi
  • Forum Üyesi
    • www.trainsofturkey.com
« Yanıtla #15 : Mart 07, 2008, 23:51:47 »
Selamlar

This project is now officially 6 months behind schedule. It looks like I am several month away from completion. The model is not difficult but time consuming. Anyway, here below the first glimpses at the model, with its paint.

It took me for ever to decide how I should paint this baby, and I am still not sure about the result.  I finally went for a red / black livery. I omitted the white, especially on the wheels rims and the rods flange. I don't like so much the white, as currently done on TCDD engines, see in particular how 56548 was recently repainted. After, looking at a lot of pictures, I decided that the red / black livery was correct, at least on some engines.  The next step was to decide where exactly to apply the red.  Here again, not two 56500 were identical and the modeler has therefore some freedom.

I did the assembly of the front end. The kit provides parts for both the bar frame and the plate frame, it provides also two types of headlights. Unfortunately, the smokebox door in the kit is a plain war type and the kit does dot provide the central lock.  Looking back, this door is rather dull and  I regret not to have done this lock and I think I will retrofit one.

Finally, a picture of the tender. I did a classic spraying mistake: I overspayed and the paint started to smudge, making sort of waves. I removed it immediately but, of course, all layers went off. Hence this beautiful result… Now, I have to remove completely the paint, at least on this side.

Next step is to complete the rods. I hope it is not going to take the next ten years.

Saygilar
Jean-Patrick

PS: how can I make such lousy pictures? Hopefully, Teoman has opened a thread on the same topic with crisp shots of this wonderful kit. 

Çevrimdışı Harun

• Administrator
  • Forum Üyesi
  • Yaş: 65
  • İleti: 2880
  • herşey MTK yüzünden...
« Yanıtla #16 : Mart 08, 2008, 01:17:00 »
Hello Jean Patrick,

Nice to hear from you again.

But, it seems Teoman will finish it before you. :)

Do you have any plans to come Turkey soon? Your member card is ready.

As you might have noticed, the photo on 2008 membership cards is a conversion of a loco from American to Turkish by Teoman.

Selamlar,

Harun

Çevrimdışı Jean-Patrick

• Kulüp Üyesi
  • Forum Üyesi
    • www.trainsofturkey.com
« Yanıtla #17 : Mart 30, 2008, 23:26:33 »
Selamlar

I completed a major symbolical step this week-end: the main rods went on the loco. I also finished all the brakes.  These are quite detailed, with all the required rods making. Unfortunately, the cylinders drain cocks have been completely omitted. A strange error on a model of this quality.

I tried also to improve my photo skills. The first step was to purchase a digital camera… makes life a lot easier.

Saygilar
Jean-Patrick

The fireman side

The driver side

And the maintenance pit view - Please excuse some of the ejectors holes that I was to lazy to fill. The model is not supposed to be shown from this angle.

And finally, for the fun and to experiment my new camera, a macro view of the driver seat.

Çevrimdışı haldunabi

• haldun bağbakan
  • Kulüp Üyesi
  • Forum Üyesi
  • Yer: istanbul-kadıköy
  • Yaş: 69
  • İleti: 1590
« Yanıtla #18 : Mart 30, 2008, 23:35:27 »
selam jean,
ı thought that you sent this picture as sample the weels for paint .
its good..
please go on about your working..
sincerely

Çevrimdışı Jean-Patrick

• Kulüp Üyesi
  • Forum Üyesi
    • www.trainsofturkey.com
« Yanıtla #19 : Nisan 21, 2008, 00:36:21 »
Selamlar

The end is in sight: I have completed assembly of all the roads and running boards. A few details are left to be done, and then I will move on to detailing. At this stage, the trickiest part is to manipulate the loco without breaking something already assembled (I did that error several times already…). The thing is quite large relative to my work space, there are very few spots suitable for grabbing. Unlike HO models, both hands are required to hold the loco.

Otherwise, assembly of the rods present no major difficulties: the parts are well engineered and don't require to much adjustment. It seems that the easiest is to assemble all the rods without gluing and then glue once everything is in place.

Now, I have to get back to that tender and fix its paints...

Saygilar
Jean-Patrick

« Son Düzenleme: Nisan 21, 2008, 00:39:33 Gönderen: Jean-Patrick »